Colleton Medical Center Named Among Best for Maternity Care
March 02, 2021
Colleton Medical Center Recognized for Maternity Care by Newsweek
Walterboro, SC (March 2, 2021) – In recognition of outstanding women’s services, Colleton Medical Center has been named to the elite Best Maternity Hospitals 2021 list by Newsweek magazine. The distinction recognizes facilities that have met high standards for safety and quality maternity care for women and newborns as verified by data from The Leapfrog Group. Colleton Medical Center is one of only ten hospitals in South Carolina to receive this distinction.
“It has been an honor for us to be recognized by the Leapfrog Group and Newsweek,” says Jimmy Hiott, CEO of Colleton Medical Center. “341 babies were delivered at Colleton Medical Center in 2020. For us, this represents 341 opportunities to provide the highest level of care for both our babies and their mothers.”
Colleton Medical Center’s Labor & Delivery Department includes:
- 6 large, private rooms that allow for your labor experience, delivery and postpartum stay all in one room
- Prenatal and birthing services
- Remote fetal surveillance
- Using a state-of-the art fetal monitoring system call Centricity Perinatal (CPN), laboring mothers benefit from unit-wide surveillance improving fetal and maternal safety. A view of baby’s heart tracing or mom’s contraction patterns are always available to the nurses and physicians. Physicians have remote access to the system 24-hours per day which allows up to the minute information on their patient’s progress. The system also provides a single, continuous medical record throughout the patient’s pregnancy. This enhances continuity of care and makes this information instantly available to hospital staff.
- Pediatric hospitalists who specialize in the care of hospitalized children and newborn patients. NRP certified personnel at every delivery
- Hugs Infant security system and newly updated security cameras to keep you and your baby safe throughout your stay
- Wireless monitoring available to allow freedom of movement during labor
- Celebration Meal for you and your partner after welcoming the newest member of your family
- Certified Lactation Counselor on staff
- Certified Lamaze and Childbirth Educator on staff
- Anesthesia available 24 hours
- Modella breast pumps and ability donate excess breast milk through the Mother's Milk Bank of South Carolina
“Best Maternity Care Hospitals showcases an elite group of hospitals nationwide,” says Nancy Cooper, Global Editor in Chief of Newsweek. “These facilities should be commended for the care they provide to women and families, and for giving babies a strong start to life. As families continue to cope with the effects on the pandemic, this information can support Newsweek’s readership in planning for one of life’s most precious moments.”
Hospitals named to the “Best Maternity Hospitals” list have fully met The Leapfrog Group’s rigorous standards for excellence in maternity care. This includes achieving lower rates of C-Sections, early elective delivery and episiotomy, as well as assuring bilirubin screening for all newborns and blood clot prevention techniques for mothers delivering via C-section.
Colleton Medical Center was one of only 217 hospitals recognized nationwide.
See the original Newsweek article here: https://www.newsweek.com/best-maternity-care-hospitals-2021
About Colleton Medical Center: Located in the heart of Walterboro, Colleton Medical Center (CMC) has a longstanding history as a leader in the community with a commitment to patient-centered care. CMC is an HCA facility, with 135 beds, offering both inpatient and outpatient medical services, as well as 24/7 Emergency Care for adults and children. Named a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures by The Joint Commission for four consecutive years, CMC ranks in the top 15 percent of U.S. hospitals for quality care. Committed to quality services and compassionate care, CMC continues to expand and advance to meet the needs of a growing community.